Sex and Relationships Education
At St. Matthias School we see SRE as part of our school’s broadly based and balanced curriculum. It is a vehicle through which (in conjunction with other school policies) we seek to develop individuals as whole people. Our aim is to prepare pupils for opportunities, responsibilities and experience of adult life by promoting their spiritual, moral, cultural, social, mental and physical development.
Our Philosophy and Aims
- To develop a greater understanding of the nature of relationships and the responsibilities of the individual.
- To promote good health.
- To avoid sexually abusive relationships, unplanned pregnancies and sexually transmitted infections including HIV.
- To promote a sense of self-worth and well-being respect self and others.
- To respect, affirm and value their own and others’ sexuality.
- To understand many religious traditions have specific teachings on sexual conduct.
- To understand that there is a wide range of opinion within Christianity as to what constitutes appropriate sexual conduct.
- To be aware of these teachings for both Christianity and Islam.
All parents of Year 6 children will be sent details of the Sex Education component before it is taught and be invited in to school to view the resources used. Parents/carers wishing to exercise their right of withdrawal should advise the Head teacher in writing.
For further information, see our Sex and Relationships Education (SRE) Policy here.